Request: Apple OCR Support

Hi, is there a possibility to use the OCR from the photos app/ spotlight of iOS 15 in panels? Would be handy to be able to define text on screen or search etc

Thanks for the feedback @Ajay.

As far as I know, Live Text from iOS 15 is not open for developers. It’s just a feature in Apple apps.

Live Text works in Photos, Screenshot, Quick Look, and Safari and in live previews with Camera.

1 Like

But it seems to come now with iOS16, really excited what you guys can say about a possible implementation of it in the near future. You can’t imagine how often I already tried to mark a text to translate and remembering that it worked only in Apple own applications yet (Safari, Preview, Mail, etc.). But the new LiveText-API sounds promising.

1 Like

We are super excited about this too.

The new iOS 16 API looks promising. We’ll give it a try soon :wink:

2 Likes

On iOS/iPadOS 16, Apple added support to Live Text API. This can helps a lot when we are reading a manga/manhwa/comic and we need to translate some word. Please, make this happens on Panels.

1 Like

+1, please please please implement this. I was really surprised that even my older iPads can do live text!

I really want to copy text directly from Panels and paste into my Japanese and Chinese dictionaries.

1 Like

Hi, @Leoofborg. I agree with you. This will bring more facilities to read comics in a foreign language.
You don’t need to copy if Live Text is implemented using the standard pattern. It will be easier. You need to select the text and use the built-in translation tool.

Mockup from another thread: [Feedback] Feedback with some QoL

We are super excited about this too.

The new iOS 16 API looks promising. We’ll give it a try soon :wink:

Hi @dani , any news about this?

Not yet. It’s still on the roadmap, though. We haven’t gotten there yet.