Vertical Scroll issue with Kavita streaming

Hi,

Has anyone else run into an issue when using Vertical Scroll and streaming from Kavita where the pages won’t load after a decent amount of scrolling? Returning to a page view will remedy the situation, but is rather frustrating to be half-way through a reading session and for it to crash out like that.

Just curious if anyone else has run into it and if so was there any remediation you were able to put in place?

This is a known bug, and we are looking to fix it in the upcoming releases. It affects all of the readers, regardless of whether you are streaming or not.

Scrolling the pages so they go offscreen and bringing them back into the frame works around the problem.

We will try to fix this soon.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me! Good to know it’s on the radar and isn’t something unique to my setup.

Are there any updates on the fix for this?

We released a new Testflight today that, amongst other things, aims to fix this issue.

Give it try and let us know if it solved the issue for you

I’ve just had a play around in the beta and the issue still seems to be occurring. I’ve provided feedback directly in the beta and I’m happy to provide further screenshots and screen recordings if that helps.

I will say, the issue didn’t seem as severe and eventually the pages do load, but there is still a significant delay even when reading at a normal pace.

I even found scrolling back up to read pages would have those pages become blank sporadically.

and eventually the pages do load, but there is still a significant delay even when reading at a normal pace.

I’m afraid that if pages eventually load, we will consider the problem fixed. Before the latest changes, there were some cases where page loads would be incorrectly canceled, causing them never to appear.

When streaming a comic, the app has to download the pages from the server, and many things can go wrong. Something that we can’t control. They can take time to appear if the connexion is low, the server is serving slow, or they can even fail if the connexion cuts off.

We have implemented an auto-retry mechanism, included in the next Testflight, to mitigate the transient errors. If an image fails to load, Panels will retry up to 3 times.

We have also extended the streamed comics cache life, so pages you have seen before stay cached on the device for much longer.

I hope this will improve the experience slightly. But I don’t think we can do much else regarding slow loading pages while streaming.