Thread: My Suggestions for Improving Panels

Hi

It was suggested to me by support that I offer suggestions that I think would improve the usability of Panels. This is based on features in other similar apps.

When looking to import comics, the navigation view is thumbnails and folders. The problem with this is a limited number of items can be displayed at one. If there was an option to switch the view to file names, one can pick more files at a time without having to scroll.

I can only post one image per post so here’s another view of a line-based selection instead of folder/thumbnail

And it would be great if comics automatically grouped into titles, and if once you read a comic, its color changes or some other indication showed that the comic was already finished. Otherwise, what’s the point of clicking “Finish” at the end of reading a comic in Panels? In this example, S.W.O.R.D was already read.

I decided to support the product because the support was so earnest, but I think for the time being I’ll stick to using another reader. I hope features like these may be incorporated in the future.

Those suggestions are pretty much the reasons why I stopped using Chunky a while a go. I respect your taste but I would hate it if Panels evolved in that direction :grimacing:

Have you tried the new beta listed? They changed the way the import feature worked now you can see them similar to your first image. Edit: sorry looks like the beta I linked is now the current version in the App Store

I didn’t know there was such a thing! I’ll try to find it!

So you specifically live for the bulkiness of folder icons? You hate knowing which of your hundreds of comics is already read? Ruins the mystery for you, perhaps? Having your comics grouped by title fills you with rage, does it?

The current store version is the recent beta. So the changes i was talking about should be live.

I live for nature, friendships and the small joys of life. Also don’t know what rage is. Appreciate your interest.

1 Like

@Atari they. thanks again for the feedback

• Latest version of Panels have list support in the importers. It should be out by now.

And it would be great if comics automatically grouped into titles,

• We try not to make things happen automagically. We are not planning to group or organze your library for you. Users can create their collections manually and organize their titles however they like. That kind of automatic organization might not work for everyone.

its color changes or some other indication showed that the comic was already finished.

• We don’t like this approach because we use opacity to represent “activation”. If a cover appears faded, that means it’s not tappable. We don’t want to use that design pattern to represent read/unread.
    You can configure your library in settings to show a small progress bar on top of each cover, that should help you identify which ones are read or not.

We are also thinking about other ways to communicate this. But for now, that’s how it is.

We listen to all opinions and you’re welcome to share yours. But please, tune your animosity down. There’s no need to use that tone. :pray: