Panels and Kavita structure

Hi,
I just started using Kavita as OPDS server. Things are smooth but I’m not happy about the structure it has.m and wondering if there is something I can change?
I find my comics in the OPDS server All Libraries->”name of my library”. Here are all my comic series and when I go further into one of the series I find each release in that series, but to actually read them I need to go into each release and there I can actually open that comic. Why not make it possible to open every issue directly in the series folder?

It looks like that’s unfortunately how Kavita lays out its series. I think you’d have to take it up with them. In my opinion, Komga is a great comic server if you’re willing to switch. Its OPDS doesn’t separate each issue into a separate folder. I personally keep Kavita for e-books and Komga for comics.

Thanks for the reply! Ok, I will try Komga first😊

Thanks for chiming in @Raven

Yeah, I don’t have much else to add. It’s how Kavita’s OPDS feed is structured.
I’m unsure why they decided to structure it like that.

Update from me: I downlaoded Komga instead, really happy with Komga and sorting i good in Panels app. Thanks for the input!

2 Likes

Hey @Morty, would you be willing to open an issue on Kavita’s GitHub page (Issues · Kareadita/Kavita · GitHub)? I believe that the Kavita team can address this behavior.

I just checked in on this, the issue was opened however the Kavita developer has responded and said they are satisfied with the current OPDS structure and are unwilling to change it.

I have written out everything I can as to why it would make sense to integrate this change and I hope the developer reconsiders.

If not, is there a way on the Panels side to fix this? Even when I copy the items from Kavita to my own iPad, they come down in the exact same Issue>Issue format and it’s such a mess to navigate

If not, is there a way on the Panels side to fix this?

I’m afraid we can’t do much about it. We use OPDS because it provides a standard interface for servers and clients to communicate. But Panels knows nothing about series/collections/arcs/etc… For Panels, OPDS only serves folders and files. We show what the OPDS feed says.

We very much respect Kavita’s position. If that’s how they want to structure their content, and it’s OPDS compliant, I think it’s perfectly valid. I don’t think there’s anything “to fix”.

But I also understand people might not like how they structure the content. That’s absolutely respectable too.

As Raven suggested earlier, you probably want to switch to another server that structures the content in a way that is more aligned with your likes. Maybe Komga is the one. Or maybe LANraragi, o Codex.

We are happy to improve the experience of using different servers outside OPDS, like adding support for reading sessions sync using their API, and proposing changes for the OPDS-PSE extension standard. But when it comes to OPDS, we have to stick to the standard.

I hope it makes sense.

1 Like

I just checked in on this, the issue was opened however the Kavita developer has responded and said they are satisfied with the current OPDS structure and are unwilling to change it.

I have written out everything I can as to why it would make sense to integrate this change and I hope the developer reconsiders.

If not, is there a way on the Panels side to fix this? Even when I copy the items from Kavita to my own iPad, they come down in the exact same Issue>Issue format and it’s such a mess to navigate

Thanks for you support @Madeleine_Carrier , looks like the Kavita was updated with a more flattening structure: OPDS Flattening (#1904) · Kareadita/Kavita@a8f48a6 · GitHub

1 Like