New user with some question about Komga support

Hi there
I have for some time been trying find find a good comic reader for my ipad (and maybe iphone) to use with my Komga server instead of chunky.

Now I have skipped panels a few times because I really hate subscriptions and would like to have one time fees. But I have now tried it and so far I really like how it looks and I might keep the subscription :).

While trying to figure it out I have some questions about it in relation to Komga:

1. Can I search in my Komga library via panels? I have seen another post which I believe mention this where it is said its on the horizon. Have I understand that correctly?

2. Can Panels sync with my Komga reading progress? or will this ever be a feature?

3. I cant really figure out how the komga downloads work. Is there anywhere I can see everything I downloaded from Komga? it does not show up in Downloads for some reason? I can delete them if I Know what I downloaded :slight_smile:

Again so far this seems the best option for my Komga server, especially because it seems to be very much developing :smiley:

Thank you all in advance!

/Thrawn

2 Likes

Thanks for your support @Thrawn :heart:

1. Can I search in my Komga library via panels? I have seen another post which I believe mention this where it is said its on the horizon. Have I understand that correctly?

Not yet, but we are working on it. Weā€™ll add this feature in the upcoming months.

1. Can Panels sync with my Komga reading progress? or will this ever be a feature?

You can enable the server-side progress sync for streamed comics in your komga feed configuration. But we are planning to use Komgaā€™s API to synchronize them in the future. Itā€™s not a trivial task because the server might not be accessible when the session is stored locally. We donā€™t have a time frame but itā€™s definitely coming at some point.

1. I cant really figure out how the komga downloads work. Is there anywhere I can see everything I downloaded from Komga? it does not show up in Downloads for some reason? I can delete them if I Know what I downloaded :slight_smile:

We need to improve this bit. We know itā€™s a bit confusing at the moment. If you access your Komga server as an external Library, you can download comics and they get cached locally on the device. We keep a cache of all the navigation and indices so you can open them again even if youā€™re offline or the server is not accessible. They live in the Komga library, not in your device library. The action is called ā€œDownloadā€ for accessibility reasons, but itā€™s more of a cache than anything else. They donā€™t have an expiration time though.
They donā€™t appear in the Downloads section because that section only shows comics you downloaded into your local library.
We know it might be a bit confusing. Weā€™ll keep iterating until we find a better solution. Hopefully soon.

Please keep the feedback coming.

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer! I really like how you are working to make Komga even more useable in the app! :smiley:

One of the things I like about it is actually the cache stuff! my server IS offline fall night till midday so having it cached is brilliant. Maybe some kind of sub category under the komga server where you can managed the ā€œdownloadsā€ ? :slight_smile:

Umm any idea how to do the server side progress sync? or how to read up upon it?

P.S. Just changed my subscription from 1 month (to get the free test period) to a year since you have convinced me that it will be even more amazing with Komga server :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also is there anyway to see my metadata from komga? What the comic is about and such?

Umm any idea how to do the server side progress sync? or how to read up upon it?

Hereā€™s the official thread

Iā€™m unsure if this is still working or not. Officially, we donā€™t have support for progress syncing. But if you add ?markread=true to your OPDS feed URL, Panels will forward that GET parameter to the server so it can update the reading progress when reading streamed comics.

Also is there anyway to see my metadata from komga? What the comic is about and such?

We donā€™t have any metadata support at the moment. But we support the Komga initiative for the Anansi Project. We want to get involved in it and contribute to designing a better standard for comic metadata.
Itā€™s in our roadmap, and weā€™ll add support for it eventually.

1 Like

Thank you so very much for your answers and warm welcome :slight_smile: I like how everything is something that others see the idea of and that the app is being worked on! :slight_smile: thank you!

1 Like

It doesnā€™t work anymore. It looks like they removed it due to clients preloading pages and it throwing off the actual progress.

2 Likes

Just reviving this thread to add to your list of people who are looking forward to this feature. Komgaā€™s API seems more ā€œrobustā€ than OPDS so Iā€™d love to see a ā€œNative Komgaā€ connector.

My absolute dream scenario would be to duplicate almost exactly the way I use Plex (with the iOS app and new syncing feature): Every time that I sync to the server, 1) Update watching progress/watched status, 2) Remove fully-watched TV shows from the device, and 3) Make sure that I have (n) unwatched episodes of each of the shows that I follow pulled down to the device.

It would require some sort of ā€œsubscribe to a comic seriesā€ feature, as well as a shift in thinking to a ā€œmostly offline and then sync when you come back onlineā€ model.

Still, Iā€™m very enthusiastic about Panels even as it is. Iā€™m a new subscriber as Iā€™ve just got back to reading comics after about a 25-year hiatus.

4 Likes

Hi

I was wondering if this is being actively worked on yet. I love Panels for reading comics but having to manually update the ā€˜readā€™ status in Komga is frustrating and may force me back to Klutter or Paperback.

1 Like

It is not. Itā€™s still in our backlog, and we will implement it eventually. But at the moment, we are focused on making the necessary changes in the app to enable content synchronization.

We want to keep improving the integration with Komga. Itā€™s the server we use personally. But we havenā€™t had enough bandwidth.

The read sync seems to work very well in the current TestFlight beta :smiley:

I have not regretted buying panels 2 lifetime update :slight_smile: panels is the only reader I use now :slight_smile:
Got a few questions as a follow up on the ones I asked last year :slight_smile:

1. Is there now a way to see cached items from komga? Iā€™m loving this feature because my komga nas turns off a lot to save power.
    Would it be possible to have a subsections under downloads or maybe a filter that shows opds cashe files?

2. Is it somehow possible to a seach on my komga server now? I got so many comics and I miss this a lot :slight_smile:

3x favorited comics from komga
Would it be possible to instead of a list of names under favourites
Make favories a section with tiles?
So like you have headline ā€œfavouritesā€
Then under that say ā€œKomga or what ever you call the serverā€ and you can click on that then the different favourites series shows in tiles the same way that komga or on my iPad shows?