Deleting downloads to free storage space

Hi,
I’ve been absolutely loving the app since I downloaded it but as I have a number comic collections within my library, I quickly ran out of storage space on my device. I never realised that the comics were stored in a separate file on my phone and was wondering if there was a way to remove these downloads of my phone yet still keep the comics in the library (like being able to offload comics but be able to reinstall and/or offload them again elsewhere to free up storage). If not, is this something that may be added in the future?

2 Likes

Hi @Elanimate

We are working on two features that might help in that regard.

One will be adding additional libraries to Panels. You will be able to select an external folder/storage unit and link it to Panels as an external library.
Also, we are working on iCloud support too. Once it’s working, you will be able to store your files on iCloud and download only the comics you want to read. The rest will appear in your Library but as cloud files. Also, you will be able to offload them.

We don’t have a release date yet, but we are aiming for late this year 2022.

1 Like

This sounds very promising. Like I said, I absolutely love the look and the way the app works and I hope to be able to continue using it to access many of my comics in the future and when these features arrive it will definitely help with that

2 Likes

I came here to ask for this, too! I’d love to be able to view my whole collection in Panels, but only download titles as I’m ready to read them or have them ready. Integration with iCloud or other cloud drives in that way would be amazing.

Thanks so much for working to add this feature!

1 Like

Does anyone know if there has been any progress on this. I love using this app to read my comics but it’s a shame when the app or my phone start to crash with my extensive comic library :grimacing:. If this has already been implemented, does anyone know how to get this to work? Thank you

This should be fixed already. I’ve tested it on the latest version, and it works as expected

What version of the app are you using?

I’m using version 2.13.12
Maybe it’s just me not being able to find the option to do it :sweat_smile:

I am trying to achieve this as well. I installed the latest testflight to check. I can import from onedrive but it makes a copy in my iPad storage. Is this normal? I want my mangas to be in onedrive and be able to check them in my panels library and download when needed. Is this possible to do? If yes what am i missing?

That is not possible, at least for now. The only external services Panels supports “as libraries” are OPDS servers.
Cloud storage like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc… can only be used as importers because they don’t provide the required information to present them as an external library.

I can import from onedrive but it makes a copy in my iPad storage. Is this normal? I want my mangas to be in onedrive and be able to check them in my panels library and download when needed. Is this possible to do? If yes what am i missing?

Maybe it’s just me not being able to find the option to do it :sweat_smile:

Long-press on the cover and a contextual menu appear. There should be a “Delete” option in it.
Also, you can select one or more files and use the trash can icon at the bottom of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sVSJXS0m6eQ

A post was split to a new topic: Update about iCloud Library Support