120 fps in the app

Hi, will you make the app 120 fps for the iphone 13 pro ?

It’s currently 60 fps :confused:

1 Like

We’ll definitely do. But it’s not as simple as just enabling 120fps.
Apple recommends that you implement “variable refresh rate” to avoid draining the battery. That means enabling max fps, but also implementing fps caps in all the places where 120fps is not really needed.
If you’re interested, you can read more here Apple Developer Documentation

This requires time and it’s not as simple as turning on a flag. It’s on our roadmap though.
We’re also very excited about ProMotion and high refresh rate devices :wink:

2 Likes

I just have to once again say that I love how committed the dev team is and how often they are willing to share what the plans for the future are.

You guys are awesome and I genuine use the panels app constantly.

To the point I don’t auto update my apps just so I can read the patch notes for updates on this specific app.

2 Likes

Please don’t let it slip out of your future plans! And thanks for all the great work!

1 Like

I’ve got a dumb question. I’m not trying to be facetious; I’m legitimately curious.

For an application that’s essentially an image displayer, what benefit would it have to have a really high refresh rate? Just to animate the page transitions?

Please don’t let it slip out of your future plans! And thanks for all the great work!

Thanks for the nudge. It’s still on our roadmap but we’ve been focused on other features for now. But we will get there, eventually :wink:

1 Like

The latest Testflight enables Pro Motion and tweaks the average fps in the Library animations. We haven’t spent much time tweaking anything else, so most of the behavior is “out of the box”. Let us know how it feels and whether you miss a better performance in specific areas of the app.

As I mentioned, full ProMotion support requires manually tweaking every view/animation. But Apple has already tweaked most of their system components. Probably, our current implementation is more than enough for everyone, as Panels doesn’t have many animations and most of the content is static.

Looking forward to your feedback

2 Likes